Date: Thursday, May 4, 2017
Location: River Run Centre
Time: 6:30 – 10:00pm
Evening Includes: Cocktail Reception, Awards Ceremony, Dessert Reception
The Guelph Y invites the community to an evening of recognition and inspiration as we celebrate the honourees of the 2017 Women of Distinction Awards on Thursday May 4, 2017 at the 22nd Annual Women of DistinctionTM Fundraising Gala, which will take place at the River Run Centre from 6:30 – 10:00pm. Tickets for the gala are now available in person at Member Services at the Guelph Y (130 Woodland Glen Dr.) or online.
The Guelph Y received an overwhelming number of nominations this year for so many outstanding leaders and the selection committee chose these 30 inspirational stories to be shared with the community. Rather than recognizing a recipient for each category, the focus of the gala will be to share the stories of these 30 pioneers and role models. There will also be several awards including two Lifetime Achievement Awards and the Turning Point Award.
The YMCA-YWCA of Guelph is delighted to announce the 30 honourees for the 22nd Annual Women of DistinctionTM Fundraising Gala:
- KELLIE ANGERILLI – Principal and mentor at St. John Bosco school
- KAREN BELLAMY – volunteer dedicated to church and community
- KAYLA BILLINGS – Volunteer, fundraiser, champion of those in need
- ISOBEL BOYLE – Accomplished nurse, dedicated volunteer, and Community Champion
- DR ANDREA BUCHHOLZ – Associate Professor of Applied Human Nutrition, U of G
- ANN CAINE — Founder, former executive director and continued supporter of Sunrise Therapeutic Riding and Learning Centre
- DR GERARDA DARLINGTON – Professor of Math and Statistics and mentor to women in the STEM fields
- PATRICIA ETON-NEUFELD – Accountant and professional volunteer
- MISTY GAGNE – President, CUPE Local 241
- KELLY GEE – Fitness guru and champion of health, wellness and fitness programs for seniors
- GAIL HOEKSTRA – Director, Welcome In Drop In Centre
- SHIRLEY HUNT – Community development worker, co-founder of Focus on Nature and Up and Running
- DR NINA JONES – Associate Professor and Canada Research Chair, Dept. of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Guelph
- LAURA KELLER – Volunteer with Girl Guides of Canada and St. George’s Anglican Church
- ALINA KISLENKO – Champion for people with ADHD, Aspergers and neurodiversity
- JORDYNN KLEIN – Fourth-year U of G student and passionate volunteer on and off campus
- BRIANA LYNCH – Founder of the Guelph Academy of Dance
- TRACEY MCGRATH – Financial advisor and vice president of Bracelet of Hope
- DR LUCY MUTHARIA – Associate professor of biology at the University of Guelph
- DR ÉVA NAGY – Scientist, researcher, trailblazer, and inspiration to hundreds of young female scientists
- KARLY RICHARDSON – mother, student and resilient role model
- LEAH ROBINSON – Paralympic athlete
- LYNNE SKILTON-HAYES — Fitness Program Supervisor at the University of Guelph, local and international fitness advocate
- SOPHIE SKOUFIS – Six-time world karate champion and owner of Guelph Family Martial Arts
- MARGARET STINSON – Lifetime volunteer committed to tourism, beautification and environmental projects
- LANA TARRANT – Owner, Appetizingly Yours Events and Catering
- MARISSA TEETER – Director of Corporate Communications for The Skyline Group of Companies
- DR JOCELYN WESSELS – Scientist, community volunteer, and role model to young women scientists
- GINA WOODS – Teacher, mother, and volunteer who led the charge in sponsoring a Syrian refugee family
- JOANNE YOUNG-EVANS – Executive Director of Family Counselling and Support Services Guelph-Wellington
What is Women of DistinctionTM?
Women of DistinctionTM is a celebration of women who are role models, pioneers and outstanding achievers – they improve the quality of life in our community.
When does the event take place?
The 2017 Women of DistinctionTM Fundraising Gala will take place on Thursday, May 4, 2017 at the River Run Centre.
What does the event support?
Women of DistinctionTM supports Guelph Y programs for girls and women at all stages of life in Guelph and Wellington County, including:
- Power of Being a GirlTM – a one day conference for girls that helps build self-esteem and raises awareness about healthy relationships
- Teenage Parents Program (TAPPs) – a program that supports the personal growth and development of pregnant and parenting teens and their families and connects them with valuable resources
- Encore – a holistic program for women with breast cancer to help them build their own physical strength, as well as feel the strength and support of a community
|We are delighted to announce that Sue Smith will be the 2017 Women of DistinctionTM Honorary Chair. Read more about Sue’s inspirational story here.|
The Guelph Y would like to thank the Women of DistinctionTM sponsors for supporting and empowering the women in our community. A special thank you to Presenting Sponsors, McNeil Consumer Healthcare, the University of Guelph, and CIBC for your support and for celebrating the achievements of outstanding women in Guelph and Wellington County.
Women of Distinction Presenting Sponsors
Women of Distinction Gold Sponsors
Women of Distinction Silver Sponsors
Women of Distinction Bronze Sponsors
Women of Distinction Friends/Media
If you have any questions, please contact Erica Charlesworth, Supervisor of Development and Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-824-5150 ext. 255.